Things tend to change when you least expect them to ... it is God's way of putting things into perspective.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Eliot

Two nights ago, I was lying in bed having just put Charlie to sleep upstairs. I was watching television and much to my delight, the Oprah show came on (it is replayed each night at 9 pm on one of the NBC stations). I was able to catch part of the show that night and it was on "Miracle Children." This morning, then, I saw this clip on YouTube and was so excited as I wanted to share the story and message.

One of the features on the show was about a baby named Eliot. They showed a video and it brought absolute tears to my eyes. Seeing this baby with tubes connected to him and knowing that he was fighting an uphill battle, the parents celebrated every moment of this child's life. It was inspiring. The showed this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th6Njr-qkq0 to explain Eliot's journey and there was not a dry eye in the house. In a way, it reminded me of our start with Charlie. The tubes, the NICU, the weeks before he was born of the "unknown."

I could not help but think about how lucky we are to have Charlie and how blessed he is to be so healthy as I watched this video. We had a rocky start with him, but he is HEALTHY and HAPPY! I can't imagine (and hope that I never do) how these parents feel knowing they gave birth to a baby that is not going to be on earth very long. Putting their own feelings aside, they formed such a strong bond with this little boy and celebrated every moment of his life. I am sure that is why this littly guy lived so much longer than most babies with this condition -- many never even make it through birth.

Eliot's short time on life was planned by God. It was his way of reminding people to be thankful for what they are given and to slow down and celebrate the small things in life. Most of us are guilty of now celebrating the small things. We are so busy with our jobs and other things in life, we forget to celebrate small accomplishments or to enjoy simple pleasures ... a dinner with a loved one, a hug from your child, a smile or note from a friend. Charlie is teaching me so much about my own life. It is not about me ... life is about him and what I can do to help him grow. Things that I have stressed over in the past seem so stupid now considering what we have been through in the last year. Finding a balance is so important to living a happy life ... I am really trying to work on that. We only get one chance at this and making sure that you take full advantage is so important.

No comments: