Things tend to change when you least expect them to ... it is God's way of putting things into perspective.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Hits keep on coming!

We went to the doctor again today and things have not gotten any better. It is Toxemia (otherwise known as preclampsia) that I am suffering from and could be dangerous to both my health and the health of the baby. As a result, I am on BED REST from here on out. The only time I am permitted to get out of bed is to shower, use the bathroom or get something to eat. Other than that, I am to stay on my side as much as absolute possible. There is no real reason for this disease ... she called it "the disease of first pregnancies." It usually happens to women that are very young (under 20) or older (over 40). With my activeness, overall good health and age, it is a little mysterious as to why I am now suffering from this condition.

The goal now is to make it five more weeks. We are at 30 weeks today and this baby stands a better chance the longer we can keep him in. 37 weeks is considered full-term, but my doctor is confident that if we make it 5 more weeks, we will be in good shape. Any earlier, we will be facing a battle with lung development and so forth. So, that is the goal ... anything after 35 weeks is going to be icing on the cake.

After several tests today (and over the past week), it has been determined that we are both "OK" right now. The baby is weighing in at 3 lbs, 6 ozs ... a little small for his "age" but that is to be expected with what all is going on. His brain, heart, lungs and measurements all look good right now. The scary thing about all of this is that I feel fine. I am a little bit swollen, but nothing too crazy. I have been resting and taking it easy for the past week (as directed) so this is just alot to take in. This condition is progressive though and can take-over very quickly. Headaches, seizures, kidney failure are all possibilities that can happen. So, we are taking it very serious.

As a result of all this, I will no longer be able to travel home to IL or KY. I am saddened by this as we had showers planned in the coming weeks at both homes :( I was really looking forward to seeing all our family and friends. This won't be happening now as travel is prohibited (and dangerous). So, the girls are going to take care of calling and sharing the news with everyone about what has happened and what we are going through.

Please keep us in your prayers and hope for the best. Our medical care has been great so I am fully confident that we are going to be OK. Eric and I know that this is serious and that we need to treat it that way .. it is just alot to take in right now. We know that we need to get ready for this lil one as he could come at any time ... we have alot to do/buy! We thought we had plenty of time --- the end of May seemed like forever, but now, we are looking at the end of April!!

No comments: